Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunnyside Bench



location: Sunnyside Bench
objective: dry rock
weather: clear and fine, about 60 degrees F

On my way through Groveland I picked up a hitchhiker on his way to the Valley. He was a blacksmith on holiday from Israel. I think his trip was part of a celebration for completing his two year obligatory service in the military. Either way, he was a friendly sort and the time passed quickly.

We made a quick stop in El Cap Meadow and he ran around in an effort to generate body heat. I think he was also intoxicated by his first encounter with El Capitan. Watching him sprint around the snow covered meadow in his t-shirt was very funny. This was about ten o'clock. It was not too warm out.

higher and lower Cathedral Spires
from El Cap Meadow

I took a photo of the Cathedral Spires and then we got back in the car. We stopped again on South Side Drive so he could have his picture taken with the falls in the background. It was a beautiful shot. He stomped around in the snow a bit more and then we continued on our way.

I told him he should stay in Camp 4 because it is the cheapest place. He wanted to know if he could just walk into the woods and pitch his tent. I tried to explain why that was not a good idea. I think he heard me.

We decided the visitor center would be the best place for him to strike out on his own. We said our goodbyes in the parking lot behind the deli.

Now what? Remembering how good Sunnyside Bench looked from the road, I decided that would be my destination. I also thought it would be good to know how to find the swimming hole on top by the time Summer arrives. Halfway up I snapped this photo of a snowy Half Dome.

Half Dome
from Sunnyside Bench

Right above the ledge where I stopped for the photo I found my first Indian Paint Brush of the season! By this time the sun was blasting and I was toasty warm.

Giant Red Indian Paint Brush

I looked up this flower up in my Sierra Nevada Natural History Book and was surprised to find May to September as their flowering period. I knew I was lucky to see one on the last day of February.

Further evidence for the concept of micro-climates...


Castilleja miniata subsp. miniata

I guess those little fellas love the sun on those south facing rocks as much as I do.


Giant Red Indian Paint Brush

Anyway. When I got to the top of the bench I took my shoes off so I could walk around in the mud and grass. I found the climber's trail that leads right (east) and back down to the start. I figured I would head left so I could find those swimming holes before descending. The trail was clear. The sun was shinning. A little fresh deer scat. Some more mud. Wet rock. Nice barefoot walking really. Then a sound.

I had surprised a family of deer napping on the trail. Mom and baby got up at first, but soon laid back down when they realized I was not a threat. The buck never really moved the whole time. He seemed perfectly content to watch me from where he was.


perfect day at Sunnyside Bench



Ahwahnee Meadow
compare this photo to the one I took a few weeks ago


misty meadow


winter wear

No comments: