Monday, February 8, 2010

after the storm...


location: Yosemite National Park
date: feb 6 & 7
weather: wet

I woke up on Saturday morning and knew I had to go to t
he park despite the rain. Maybe things would clear up tomorrow. Anything is possible in Yosemite, right? After twelve days of work non-stop I needed some space.

The drive on 120 went quickly. Not too much traffic or ice on the roads. I grabbed a spot in a deserted Camp 4, and then headed up to check out the Rostrum. I had heard there were some dry pitches near the halfway ledge. After post holing and sliding down to the ledge I didn't see much of anything dry.


Rainy/Snowy Rostrum

rostrum from below halfway ledge


fern and moss


wolf lichen


It was starting to get dark so I snapped a few more photos, and then went back to the warm car.
After a quick rainy day dirtbag dinner next to the bear box, I caught the shuttle to the Ahwahnee Lodge to write a few letters and high class it for a bit. The couches are big. The fires even bigger. And the WIFI even freer.

Waiting for the shuttle back to my damp tent in Camp 4 the snow was falling at 9.30 on Saturday evening. What would tomorrow bring? Rain, snow? Was there any chance of climbing anything? Where would I find a partner. Things were grim.

But then I woke up to this...And I knew I had made the right choice...







Royal Arches and Half Dome from Ahwanee Meadow



Sentinel after storm
(too bad this photo doesn't show the whole thing, it looked straight out of the Himalaya)




Royal Arches and Half Dome
after winter storm
from Ahwahnee Meadow


Royal Arches with rolling mist



So there I was strolling about. Snapping photos left and right, watching the walls dry out. Maybe there would be some climbing after all! A quick text to some friends in El Portal. What? They are going x-country skiing on the Tioga Road. Would I like to join them? Oh, would I ever.

And so that is how I ended up spending sunday sliding around in the snow on the Tioga Road. We made tracks all the way to Gin Flat. Had a drink and a bite


road closed to automobiles


break time at Gin Flat


snowy fir trees

So, I didn't get to sink any killer hand jams, or pinch tiny holds, but the Valley still delivered. It wasn't what I was expecting. It was even better.

No comments: