Saturday, April 19, 2008

SOLO SPRING SLUSH





- this ain't no deseret, or desert, nothing quite like my first forey into randonne skiing. The day starts on an unsettling note when I learn that my privacy will be short lived as plans are in the works to redevelop the area. "Yeah, did you know Dave Coors owns a bunch of land up here, he's planning to bring back lifts and open a snow park up here, I've been out here everyday for two weeks plowing this lot, $10 isn't that bad.." said the parking attendent as he stepped out of his Jeep C-J 7. Dam Coors! So after forking out $10 for a place to leave the subu, the climb starts well. Dammmn skis are crazy, I feel like spiderman on snow -being attached to a 30 degree slope by mohair and the maigic of textiles. the sun is bright and the conditions change rapidly, so a profeeesor type from Boulder is out in front of me on snowshoes.


the first two or three turns come easily and my speed increases, springs rocks grab my skis and send me tumbling down the slope, bouncing off rocks, escaping with a few scrapes, I guess that's why it's dangerous

No comments: