Saturday, February 23, 2008

BJP in Exile




















This is a letter from a man in exile from his spiritual homeland, the desert. Bobbie-Joe Panguitch writes these words to you as he sits tucked in the foothills of northern Kalifornia.
Winter.

It rains.

Its cold. Memories of warm sandstone and dreams of flawless granite float through my mind.
In the meantime this is my story...
My walk began in rain at the valley floor. Up the Old Toll Road towards the Palisade cliffs. No cars or even crows today. I left the road, crossed a sheep paddock, and began to climb through the oak forest to the base of Table Rock. Around 1,100 ft the rain became snow. As I got higher the wind became more forceful.












I tucked into a small cave at ground level and sipped some tea.


Feeling quite chipper after the tea I walked beneath the cliffs and snapped a few photos before discovering a new cave. I had found two others previously, but this one was way out of the way and hidden behind two trees. After a few minutes of exploration I busted a couple of V1 moves and pulled over the lip about ten feet up. I tried to sit and soak it up but I was absolutely shaking and had to exit pretty quickly.


Contoured around the base a bit more, up an interesting a half pipe gully to the top of Table Rock and then the wind and snow really set in. It was blowing its tits off up there. I coughed a little bit and then decided to leg it. Scrambled down some snowy channels and gulleys and made it back to the base of Table Rock to watch the clouds clear just long enough to snap this photo.

Guess it ain't so bad here in Kalifornia but its just the kind of country to make a man go soft!
Even when it snows the sun comes out.

Thats all for now. Bobbie-Joe signing off. Heres to the spring and YOSEMITE!!!!!!!

No comments: